(The spring 2021 series was held either virtually, in-person, or a hybrid of the two options.)
- February 10: Jorge Almodovar; University of Arkansas; Cell Behavior Enhancement by Collagen/Heparin Layered Coatings
- February 17: Christa Hestekin; University of Arkansas; How to give a bad talk
- February 24: Andrew Zydney; Penn State; Continuous Bioprocessing – New Challenges and Opportunities for Membrane Technology
- March 3: Chris Bowman; University of Colorado Boulder; Polymers and Light: Towards Advanced, Photoresponsive Materials
- March 10: ThermoElectron; University of Arkansas; NanoIR instrument (coupled AFM and FTIR)
- March 17: Tom Spicer; University of Arkansas; Physical and Computational Modeling of the Jack Rabbit II Pressurized Chlorine Releases
- March 31: Michael Pirhalla; EPA; Urban Dispersion Studies at the EPA
- April 7: Tibor Szilvasi; University of Alabama; Computational Design of Chemoresponsive Liquid Crystalline Systems
- April 14: Thomas Epps; University of Delaware; From Waste to Polymers: Creating Sustainable Materials from Biomass
- April 21: Amelia Fuller; Santa Clara University; Structural and Functional Studies of N-Substituted Oligoamide Peptidomimetics
- April 28: Yifu Ding; University of Colorado Boulder
(Entire series held virtually due to Covid-19)
- August 27: Tammy Lutz-Rechtin; UA; Safety – Updates and special topics
- September 3: ACHEGS Welcome; UA; Elections
- September 10: Dr. Rudra Palash; Pfizer Inc.; Graduate Student Panel
- September 24: Sheima Khatib; Texas Tech University; "Enhancing the catalytic properties of Mo/ZSM-5 catalysts for methane dehydroaromatization by ex situ formation of metal carbides"
- October 8: Dr. Shuvo Roy; University of California, San Francisco; "Silicon Nanopore Membranes for an Implantable Bioartificial Kidney"
- October 15: Dr. Nicole Labbe; University of Colorado Boulder; "Laser Beams and 3D Printers: How Recent Experimental Advances Have Helped Reveal the Complex Chemistry of Combustion"
- October 22: Dr. Jacquelyn Dee Mosley; UA; "Creating a Culturally Competent Campus"
- October 29 Dr. Claribel Acevedo Velez; University of Puerto Rico; "Influence of surface-active nanoparticles on emulsions of thermotropic liquid crystals"
- November 5: Dr. Stephen Gray; Institute for Sustainable Industries and Liveable Cities, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia; "Membrane Integrity Monitoring for Reliable Water Reuse"
- November 12: Dr. Anthony Ting; Arthesys; "Cell Therapy for Critical Care Indications"
- November 19 Robert Griffin; UAMS; "Approaches to Engineer Naturally Produced Extracellular Vesicles in Biomedical Research and Treatment"
- December 3: Dr. Dean Muirhead; NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX; "Closed-Loop Water Recovery: Transitioning from Low Earth Orbit to Planetary Habitats"
- January 14: Dr. Daniel Strauss; ASAHI KASEI; “Virus Filtration: Past, Present and Future"
- January 16: ACHEGS Welcome; UA; Elections/Snack provided
- January 21: Ms. Wendy L. McBride; UA; "Controlling variables in the publication process"
- January 23: Tammy Lutz-Rechtin; UA; Safety – Updates and special topics
- January 30: Dr. R. Panneer Selvam; UA; "CFD Peak Pressures on TTU Building Using Different Inflow"
- February 6: Mr. Jason G. Ramage; UA; "An Overview of Research Compliance"
- February 13: CHEG graduate students; UA; "AChEGS at AIChE: A Graduate Student Panel"
- February 20: Ms. Laura Mox and Mr. James "JD" DiLoreto-Hill; UA; "Resources at U of A available for graduate students from the Graduate School and the Graduate-Professional Student Congress"
- February 25: Faculty Search Candidate Research Seminar
- February 27: Faculty Search Candidate Research Seminar
- March 3: Faculty Search Candidate Research Seminar
- March 5: Dr. James Dorman; LSU; "Engineering Spatially Controlled Nanomaterials – Utilizing Optoelectronic Properties to Drive Surface Reactions"
- March 10: Faculty Search Candidate Research Seminar
- March 17: Faculty Search Candidate Research Seminar
- March 19: Dr. Johannes Hachmann; University at Buffalo; “Strategic biomimicry in biomaterial design” – CANCELLED due to Covid-19
- April 2: Dr. Sheima Khatib; Texas Tech University; "Enhancing the catalytic properties of Mo/ZSM-5 catalysts for methane dehydroaromatization by ex situ formation of metal carbides"– CANCELLED due to Covid-19
- April 16: Dr. David Lynn; University of Wisconsin - Madison; "Reactive Assembly of New Soft Materials and Interfaces" - CANCELLED due to Covid-19
- April 23: Dr. Rudra Palash Mukherjee; Pfizer Inc; "Paradigms in biochemical engineering: tools and strategies for tailoring bioseparation" - CANCELLED due to Covid-19
- April 30: Student Elevator Pitch - CANCELLED due to Covid-19
- August 29: ACHEGS Welcome; UA; Elections/Snack provided
- September 5: Tammy Lutz-Rechtin; UA; Safety – Updates and special topics
- September 12: Dr. Geoff Geise; “Structure/property relationships in polymer membranes for water purification and energy applications”
- September 19: Dr. Ryan Hartman; “Design of Microreactors with in situ Spectroscopy and Machine Intelligence for Faster Discovery”
- September 26: Dr. Dan Shantz; “Designing composition and local structure in zeolites: teaching old catalysts new tricks”
- October 3: Dr. Carlos Rinaldi; "Diffusion of Magnetic Nanoparticles in Complex and Biological Fluids"
- October 8: Dr. Nora Savage; "Nano Research – Potential for Gigantic Benefits"
- October 10: Mr. William Jacoby; “Supercritical Water Oxidation of Sewage Sludge and
Aqueous Film Forming Foam”
October 17: Dr. Michael Pishko; “Continuous Glucos Monitoring for Diabetes Management: The Path Forward” - CANCELLED
- October 22: Dr. Boelo Schuur; "Stimuli Responsive Materials in Smart Separation Systems"
- October 24: Ms. Sarah Goforth; “The Art of the Picth: Persuasively Communicating Your Ideas”
- October 31: Dr. Andres Garcia; “Bioengineered Synthetic Hydrogels for Regenerative Medicine”
- November 7: Dr. Elizabeth Cosgriff-Hernandez; “Strategic biomimicry in biomaterial design”
- November 14: NO SEMINAR – AIChE MEETING
- November 21: Dr. Dharmesh Kanani; "Super-batch chromatography: Enhancing downstream productivity using an existing facility and equipment through rapid cycling of short column"
- November 28: NO SEMINAR – THANKSGIVING
- December 5: Dr. Gerardine Botte; "Electrochemical Conversion of Nitrogen Containing Compounds"
- December 12: Student Elevator Pitch
- January 17: ACHEGS Welcome; UA; Elections/Snack provided
- January 24: Tammy Lutz-Rechtin; UA; Safety – Updates and special topics
- January 31: Dr. Christopher G. Arges; “Counterion condensation and new porous ionic materials for electrochemical separations"
- February 7: Dr. Mark Healy; "Quantifying the reuse potential of "waste" media in a circular economy"
- February 14: Dr. Mattheos Koffas; “A sense of balance: Development of metabolic pathway balancing approaches for the production of high value chemicals in recombinant E.coli”
- February 21: Dr. Tulin Kaman; "Simulation and Modeling of Turbulent Mixing"
- February 28: Dr. Carmen Gomes; “Nanobiosensing - A Biomimetic Approach for Pathogen Sensing Applications”
- March 7: Mr. David Cetlin; "Viral Clearance Validation: What is it and how and Innovative Approach can Change Biopharmaceutical Process Development"
- March 14:
- March 21: NO SEMINAR – SPRING BREAK
- March 28:
- April 4:
- April 11:
- April 18: Dr. Jaime Grunlan; “Polymer-Based Nanocoatings for Flame Retardancy, Gas Barrier and Thermoelectric Energy Generation”
- April 25: Dr. David Sholl; "Expanding the chemical palette for reliable adsorption-based
May 2: Dr. Soumya Srivastava; “Designing microfluidic platforms via electrokinetics for medical diagnostics and environmental biotechnology applications”
- August 23: Tammy Lutz-Rechtin; UA; Safety – Updates and special topics
- August 30: ACHEGS Welcome; UA; Elections/Snack provided
- September 6:
- September 13:
- September 20: Dr. B. Wayne Bequette; RPI; “Automated Insulin Delivery for Type 1 Diabetes.” September 27: Dr. Soumya
- Srivastava; University of Idaho; “Designing microfluidic platforms via electrokinetics for medical diagnostics and environmental biotechnology applications.” - Cancelled
- October 4: Dr. Fateme Rezaei; "Hybrid Nanocomposite Adsorbents for Gas Storage and Purification Applications.”
- October 11:
- October 18: Dr. M. Hassan Beyzavi; UA; “Molecularly Tunable Porous Nanomaterials and Applications.” October 25: Dr.
- Hideto Matsuyama; Kobe University, Japan; "Membrane Technology for Water Treatment in Membrane Center at Kobe University," in partnership with the MAST Center for Membrane Science.
- November 1: NO SEMINAR – AIChE MEETING
- November 8: Dr. Erik Santiso; NC State; "Atomistic Modeling of Solute Precipitate Nucleation." November 15: Dr. Jennifer
- Curtis; U of California; "Toward Simulation-Based Design of Practice Handling Processes."
- November 22: NO SEMINAR – THANKSGIVING
- November 29: Dr. Alex Lopez; U of Mississippi; “From Membranes to Mars: Development of Novel Ionic Liquid Composites
- Toward Advances in Separation and Materials Science for this World and the Next."
- January 18: ACHEGS Welcome
- January 19: Uwe Beruscher, W.L. Gore - TBD
- January 25: Tammy Lutz-Rechin, Safety - Updates and Special Topics
- January 29: Jakym Battle - TBD
- March 8: Muthanna Al-Dahhan, Missouri S&T - Enabling Processes Intensification of Multiphase Reactors and Flows by advanced understanding and Benchmarking CFD and Multiscale-Modeling via Sophisticated Measurement Techniques. Abstract and bio here.
- March 15: Michael Wolfe, Max Planck Magdeburg - Membrane-based platform technologies for the purification of viruses, virus-like particles and viral vectors. Abstract and bio here.
- March 22: NO SEMINAR – SPRING BREAK
- March 29: Hold for AHCEGS-initiated seminar
- April 5: Bhuvnesh Bharti, LSU - Directing the assembly and propulsion in patchy particles: Colloidal assemblies in-and out-of-equilibrium. Abstract and Bio here
- April 12: H. Michael Cheung, University of Akron - Climate Change - An Engineering Perspective. Abstract and bio here.
- April 26: Simon Bare, SLAC Nat’l Accelerator - SSRL and Catalysis: Why would I want to conduct research at a synchrotron? Abstract here. Bio here
- May 3: Kim Needy, UofA Graduate School Dean - Management and Leadership Seminar
- August 24: ACHEGS Welcome
- August 31: Tammy Lutz-Rechin, Safety - Updates and Special Topics
- September 7: Yifu Ding, Colorado, Boulder - Memorization, Reconfiguration and Instabilities of Polymer Surfaces and Particles. Abstract & Bio Here.
- September 21: Carl Laird, Purdue/Sandia Labs, Algorithms, Architectures, and Applications: High-Performance Mathematical Programming Approaches for Improved Safety and Security. Abstract & Bio Here.
- September 28: Timothy Scott, University of Michigan - Rearranging Covalent Connectivity in Polymeric Materials. Abstract & Bio Here.
- October 5: David Dayton, RTI International - Catalytic Biomass Pyrolysis for Advanced Biofuels and Bio-products: Fundamentals to Pilot Scale. Abstract & Bio Here.
- October 26: Audie Thompson, Prairie View A&M - Filtration Performance and Biofouling Resistance of Cellulose Acetate membrane with silver nanoparticles. Abstract and Bio Here.
- November 9: Theresa Good, NSFNovember 16: J. Phillip Turner, Walmart
- November 30: David Ford, CHEG Department Head/Professor - End of the semester wrap up
- January 26: Tammy Lutz-Rechtin, Safety - Updates and Peroxide Formers
- February 2: ACHEGS Welcome - UA
- February 16: Katy Revels, Fuji Vegetable Oil - Intro to Processing Fats & Oils for Speciatly Applications.
- February 23: Chris Griggs, US Army Corps of Engineers - Design & Development of Deployable Systems for Treatment and Re-Use of Unconventional Wastewater Sources.
- March 16: Kamyar Sadari & Abdollah Mosleh, UofA Graduate Students
- March 23: NO SEMINAR - SPRING BREAK
- March 30: Boelo Schuur, Univ of Twente - Selection & Design of Solvents for Affinity Separation Systems in Bio(Refineries)
- April 6: Georges Belfort, RPI - Can we Emulate Nature's exquisite selectively for water and proteins?
- April 13: Adam Melvin, LSU - Personalizes diagnostics: High-throughout, dynamic measurement of enzyme activity in intact single cells.
- August 25: ACHEGS Welcome and Elections. Snack Provided.
- September 1: Brian Henderson, UA, Job Searching
- September 8: Michael Borrelli, UAMS, Ultrasound and Nanotechnology Approaches to Treating Stroke
- September 19: Mary Gomez, Pepsi Co
- September 22: Tammy Rechtin and Jim Hogan, UA, Biosaftey
- September 29: Hnna Jeson, UA, Cardiovascular Biomechanics Laboratory - On the Border of Medicine and Engineering
- October 6: Cynthia Sides, UA Office of Entrepreneurship, From Passion to Profit
- October 24: Amy Landis, Clemson
- October 27: Alexis Carpenter, AxNano
- November 3: Ashlee Ford Versypt, Oklahoma State
- November 10: Haley Cleous, Startup Junkie Consulting, How to Turn Your Research into a Business
- November 17: No Seminar- AICHE
- November 24: No Seminar- Thanksgiving
- January 21: ACHEGS Welcome and Elections. Snack provided.
- January 29*: Dr. Kent Leach, UC Davis
- February 4: Harry Ploehn, University of South Carolina
- February 11: Alan Fuchs, University of Nevada, Reno
- February 15**: David Ford, UMass Amherst
- February 25: Tammy Rechtin, UA CHEG Safety
- March 3: Jennifer Shelton, Arkansas Economic Development Commission, EPSCoR Educational Outreach
- March 10: Bob Beitle & Shannon Servoss. Finding a Job - Step 1
- March 17:
- March 24: SPRING BREAK
- March 31:
- April 8***: CHEG Academy. Panel discussion with CHEG academy members - pizza will be provided
- April 14: John White. UA Industrial Engineering, Leadership
- April 21: Susie Engle. UA Tech Ventures, Intellectual Property
- April 28: Jingyi Chen. UA Chem, Shaping Bimetallic Nanostructures with Tunable Optical and Catalytic Properties
- May 5: Paul Millet, UA Mechanical Engineering
- September 10: Dr. Julie Stenken, University of Arkansas
- September 17: Dr. Yoram Cohem, UCLA, Abstract
- September 24: Tammy Rechtin, University of Arkansas
- October 1: Dr. Cynthia Sides, UA - Ignite
- October 15: Dr. Clint Aichele, Oklahoma State University
- October 22: Dr. Mike Semmens,University of Minnesota, Abstract
- October 29: Greg Nesmith, Dow
- December 3: Narasimhan Rajaram, University of Arkansas
- December 10: Colin Heyes, University of Arkansas
- February 19: Bryan Beckingham, Lawrence Livermore National Lab Tuesday,
- February 24: Mainak Majumdor, Monash University (Australia)
- February 26: Rodrigo Molina, University of Minnesota
- March 19: Angie Pannier, University of Nebraska
- April 16: Chaise Beisel, North Carolina State University
- April 23: Lauren Greenlee, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- August 28: AChEGS Meeting
- September 4: Andrew Zydney, Penn State
- September 11: Steve Cramer, RPI
- September 18: Safety
- September 25: Christa Hestekin, Graduate Advisor
- October 9: Ignite, University of Arkansas
- October 16: Safety
- October 23: Megan Mauter, Carnegie Mellon
- October 30: Safety
- November 6: Caryn Heldt, Michigan Tech
- January 23: Marty Matlock, University of Arkansas
- February 6: Yupo Lin, Argonne National Lab
- February 13: DB Bhattacharyya, University of Kentucky
- February 27: Provost Gaber, University of Arkansas
- March 5: Katherine Ziemer, Northeastern University
- March 6: Pam Kreeger, University of Wisconsin
- March 13: Melissa Moss, University of South Carolina
- March 18: Robert Field, Oxford University
- April 1: Bruce Eldridge, University of Texas
- April 3: Petra Klein, Oklahoma
- April 10: Rajeev Kapoor, Maharshi Dayanand University